How to use “UPPER” function in Excel?
While working with Microsoft Excel, did you get a situation where you need to change the format of the text from “LOWER/PROPER case to UPPER case? I believe most of your answers are YES. In the said scenario “UPPER” function will help you to find the solution. We will be learning the Microsoft Excel “UPPER” in detail, so stay with us and continue reading…
UPPER function is used for changing/converting the text/string to UPPER case. The output of the function returns value in new cell.
UPPER Function has argument only one argument i.e. text, which makes the function easy to apply and understand. We need to give the cell reference of the string to the text argument.
If cell reference is not correctly provided in the function, then it will give output as “#VALUE!” (Error). So always ensure that function parameters are correctly applied to get the appropriate results/output.
Advantage of UPPER Function
UPPER function is very advantageous in many ways. It helps for the document where you need to change the text case. Changing text of an available string manually (one by one) to a report is very difficult and UPPER Function helps to apply the function in large database at once and makes the work easy, saves time and increases efficiency.
Where UPPER function can be used:
UPPER Function is very useful and can be used in many places. Like it can be used as follows:
– Changing Headers/ Heading of the columns, those are generally should be in UPPER case format
– Creating or Editing a User form, where inputs are not received in defined format and UPPER-CASE function helps to standardize the database
– Or any other database where there is requirement of changing text case from Lower/Proper to Upper case, UPPER Function” can be used
Things to Remember:
– Numbers/ Punctuation/ Spaces/ Special Characters will NOT have any impact of this Function
– Function should give output in “General” format, however if output is not as per the desired format then we need to change the cell format to “GENERAL”
Example 1: Changing case to UPPERCASE Characters in available string
Here we have some examples, where “Column A” contains various strings and are required to be converted to “UPPER CASE”. Output of the function returns value in ”Column B” and explanation is also provided.
We will be following UPPER function as follows:
text argument: “A2” is the cell reference for text that is to be changed to “UPPER CASE”
– Output in Cell “B2” is showing that the string is changed from Lower Case to Upper Case
– Output in Cell “B5” is including text and numbers and NO impact in “Numbers” are shown
– Output in Cell “B8” has only Special Characters and there is NO impact of “UPPER Case” function
Hope you learnt this Function,
Don’t forget to leave your valuable comments!
If you liked this article and want to learn more similar tricks, please Subscribe us
Secrets of Excel Data Visualization: Beginners to Advanced Course
Here is another best rated Excel Charts and Graph Course from ExcelSirJi. This courses also includes On Demand Videos, Practice Assignments, Q&A Support from our Experts.
This Course will enable you to become Excel Data Visualization Expert as it consists many charts preparation method which you will not find over the internet.
So Enroll now to become expert in Excel Data Visualization. Click here to Enroll.
Excel VBA Course : Beginners to Advanced
We are offering Excel VBA Course for Beginners to Experts at discounted prices. The courses includes On Demand Videos, Practice Assignments, Q&A Support from our Experts. Also after successfully completion of the certification, will share the success with Certificate of Completion
This course is going to help you to excel your skills in Excel VBA with our real time case studies.
Lets get connected and start learning now. Click here to Enroll.
Use Automated Excel Utility Tools to increase productivity
Hope you are enjoying learning Excel with us, if you want any support related to this article, please do comment else you can ask questions in Excel Community