How to use “PROPER” function in Excel
PROPER function is used for changing the format of any text or string to PROPER or SENTENCE Case.
PROPER Function has argument only one argument i.e. text, which makes the function easy to apply and understand. We need to give the cell reference or value of string in the text argument.
text argument, is used to give the cell reference of the string or value that needs to be changed to Proper Case/ Sentence Case
Example 1: Changing sentence to PROPER CASE
We have below examples where in “Column A” various types of string are available and are required to be changed to “PROPER CASE”. Output of the function returns value in ”Column B” and explanation is also provided.
text argument, “A2” is the cell reference for text that is to be changed to “PROPER CASE”
– Output in Cell “B2” is showing that the string is changed to Proper Case
– Output in Cell “B5” is including text and number and no impact in “Numbers” are shown
– Output in Cell “B8” has only Special Characters and there is no impact of “PROPER Case” function
Things to Remember:
– Number/ Punctuation/ Space/ Special Characters will not have any impact of Function
– If cell reference is not correctly provided in the function, then it will give output as “#VALUE!” (Error)
– Function should give output in “General” format, however if output is not as per the desired format then we need to change the cell format to “GENERAL”
Hope you learnt this Function,
Don’t forget to leave your valuable comments!
If you liked this article and want to learn more similar tricks, please Subscribe us or follow us on Social Media by clicking below buttons: